Chad Norton and Chris Elkins, Soybean Research Verification Program Coordinators
The 2018 growing season was the thirty fourth year for the Soybean Research Verification Program (SRVP). The SRVP is an interdisciplinary effort between growers, county Extension agents, Extension specialists, and researchers. The SRVP is an on-farm demonstration of all the research-based recommendations required to grow soybeans profitably in Arkansas.
The specific objectives of the program are:
- To verify research-based recommendations for profitable soybean production in all soybean producing areas of Arkansas.
- To develop a database for economic analysis of all aspects of soybean production.
- To demonstrate that consistently high yields of soybeans can be produced economically with the use of available technology and inputs.
- To identify specific problems and opportunities in Arkansas soybeans for further investigation.
- To promote timely implementation of cultural and management practices among soybean growers.
- To provide training and assistance to county agents with limited expertise in soybean production.
Each SRVP field and cooperator were selected prior to planting. Cooperators agreed to pay production expenses, provide crop expense data for economic analysis and implement the recommended production practices in a timely manner from seedbed preparation to harvest. Twenty one farms were enrolled in the SRVP in 2018. The fields were located on commercial farms ranging in size from 28 to 160 acres. The average field size was 61 acres.
The 2018 SRVP fields were conducted in Arkansas, Ashley, Chicot, Clark, Clay, Conway, Crawford, Crittenden, Cross (2), Desha (2), Greene, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln, Lonoke, Miller, Randolph, St. Francis and Washington counties. Two different Roundup Ready varieties (Pioneer P47T89R and Terral REV 48A26), six different Roundup Ready Extend varieties (Armor 46-D08, Armor 48-D24, Asgrow AG43X7, Asgrow AG46X6, Morsoy 4846RXT and Pioneer 54A54X) and eight Liberty Link varieties (Armor 44L21, Bayer CZ 4540LL, Bayer HBK LL4953, Cropland LC5215, Delta Grow 4967LL, Pioneer 50A78L, Progeny 4930LL, and Stine 41LF32) were planted. Management decisions were based on field history, soil test results, variety, and data collected from each individual field during the growing season.
You may view the final report here: