By Katie Sullivan, Nematode Diagnostician
The Arkansas Soybean Promotion Board, in partnership with the Arkansas Nematode Diagnostic Laboratory, is offering a “no cost” opportunity for county agents, consultants, and growers to survey their Arkansas soybean fields this summer and fall for nematodes.
The Arkansas Nematode Diagnostic Laboratory is accepting soil samples for nematode assay from 1) Fields that are currently in soybean, 2) Fields that will be in soybean next year, and 3) Fields that may be in longer term cropping systems that included soybean within the last 2-3 years. Remember that apparently healthy fields may have nematodes not yet at an economic level, so sample these fields as well as those that may have a nematode problem. The assay fees for survey samples will be provided through a grant from the Arkansas Soybean Promotion Board. Here are the details:
- We will accept samples directly from county agents, consultants, industry advisory personnel, or growers.
- The doorway for this survey will be the local county agents. There is no limit on the number of free samples that any county or individual can submit.
- All samples need to be entered through our DDDI on-line sample submission program. If you plan on sending in lots of samples, we can set you up as a client.
- Designate “SPB Survey” on the DDDI submission form in the “Contact” blank.
- A short course is available on how to take and submit samples. If you have already completed the course, there is no need to take it again. However, if you are unsure or need a refresher, the course takes about 20 minutes and can be accessed at: http://courses.uaex.edu/course/index.php?categoryid=63. Click on “Collecting and Packaging Nematode Soil Samples”. For county extension agents, the course is available through LEARN.
Contact your county agent or the Arkansas Nematode Diagnostic Lab for more information at (870) 777-9702 ext. 119.