Transform, a new insecticide containing the active ingredient sulfoxaflor, has received an emergency use exemption for cotton producing counties (see list below) in Arkansas for the control of tarnished plant bug in cotton. This product represents a new mode of action and has excellent activity on tarnished plant bug. It also provides excellent control of cotton aphids, but this pest is NOT included on the Section 18 label. Typical application rates will range from 1.5 – 2.0 oz of Transform WG per acre.
There is a substantial limitation on the Section 18 label … a 360 day plant back restriction for all crops except cotton. It is likely that this restriction would be lifted if a full label is granted later this year, as expected. However, there is no guarantee that a full label will be granted prior to 2013. Strongly consider using this product only in fields where cotton will be grown yearly! The details quoted below are directly from the Section 18 label.
This Section 18 only applies to the following counties in Arkansas: Ashley, Chicot, Clay, Craighead, Crittenden, Desha, Drew, Greene, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lee Lincoln, Lonoke, Mississippi, Monroe, Phillips, Prairie, Pulaski, and St. Francis. A maximum of 502,500 acres of cotton may be treated in these counties.
Rotational Crop Restrictions: The following rotational crops may be planted at intervals defined below following the final application of Transform WG at specified rates for a registered use. Crop Re-Planting Interval:
- Cotton – no restrictions
- All other food and feed crops – 360 days
Application Restrictions and Rates: This product cannot be used without a valid state-specific Section 18 label. The label must be in the possession of the user at the time of application. The Section 18 label can be obtained from state and/or county authorities where it is valid.
- Do not apply within 14 days of harvest
- Do not make applications less than 5 days apart
- Do not make more than two applications per acre per crop
- Do not make more than one application in pre-bloom cotton
- Do not apply more than a total of 5.5 oz of Transform WG (0.172 lb ai of sulfoxaflor) per acre per year
- Return any unopened, unused container of this unregistered product to the manufacturer or distributor, or dispose of it in accordance with Resource Conservation and Recovery Act regulations following the expiration of the emergency exemption
Environmental Hazards: In order to protect managed bees, also native pollinators in the treatment area, avoid making application under conditions where uniform coverage cannot be obtained or where excessive drift may occur. Morning or late afternoon applications should be encouraged. The ASPB shall notify commercial beekeepers in the treatment area in connection with this program.